PhonepayPlus Code of Practice
The Code of Practice sets out the rules and regulations for every company involved in providing premium rate services in the UK.
Premium rate services must:
- be upfront about the service they offer and the cost
- treat consumers fairly
- comply with the law
- not invade consumer privacy
- not cause harm or unreasonable offence to consumers
- resolve consumer complaints quickly
All premium rate companies have to:
- register with PhonepayPlus
- submit and maintain accurate details of its services and numbers to PhonepayPlus
- check the companies they contract with
- ensure consumers are not put at risk
- follow any direction, instruction, notice or request for information from PhonepayPlus
If you don’t follow the Code of Practice
PhonepayPlus investigates complaints about services that don’t follow our Code of Practice.
We will work with you to resolve any problems. If it’s a serious complaint, we can refer any resulting breaches of our Code to a Tribunal to consider and, if necessary, impose sanctions.
If PhonepayPlus investigates your service
The Code of Practice along with guidance for different premium rate services is available on our ‘Code of Practice and Guidance’ website.
PhonepayPlus Code of Practice and Guidance website